High Drinking Times During the Academic Year
- The first six weeks of school (pressure to socialize and fit in)
- Right before, during or after midterm exams
- Major sporting events
- Relationship break ups
- Fraternity and Sorority rush/recruitment
- Bid Day
- Spring Break
- After Final Exams
Ways to intervene if your student shows signs or symptoms of an alcohol problem:
- Share your concern and encourage the student to seek help.
- Be aware of the signs alcohol abuse.
- If you believe your student is having a problem with alcohol, do not blame them, but find appropriate treatment.
- Call, email, and/or visit Peter Rives, the Assistant Director of Wellbeing – Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention for support and resources.
- If you are really concerned that your student is having troubles with alcohol a visit may be warranted. Ask to meet their friends. Attend Family Weekend and other campus events open to parents.
- We want you to continue to stay actively involved in the life of your student. Even though they may be away at college, they continue to be an extension of your family and its values.