Signs and Symptoms

Signs that you or your friend may have an alcohol issue:

Teen Drinking
  • Failure to fulfill major work, school, or home responsibilities.
  • Specific school problems such as poor attendance, low grades, and/or recent disciplinary action.
  • Drinking in situations that are physically dangerous, such as driving a car.
  • Having recurring alcohol-related legal problems, such as being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or for physically hurting someone while drunk.
  • Continued drinking despite having ongoing relationship problems that are caused or worsened by drinking.
  • Mood changes such as temper flare-ups, irritability, and defensiveness.
  • Physical or mental problems such as memory lapses, poor concentration, bloodshot eyes, lack of coordination, or slurred speech.

Signs that you or your friend may have a drug issue:

Teen Pills
  • Experiencing withdrawal symptoms (e.g. nausea, restlessness, insomnia, concentration problems, sweating, tremors, and anxiety).
  • After reducing or stopping chronic drug use. Taking a drug in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
  • Spending a lot of time getting, using, and recovering from the effects of a drug.
  • Abandoning previously-enjoyed activities, such as hobbies, sports, and socializing, in order to use drugs.
  • Neglecting school, work, or family responsibilities.
  • Taking risks while high, such as starting a fight or engaging in unprotected sex.
  • Continuing to use despite physical problems (e.g. blackouts, flashbacks, infections, injuries) or psychological problems (e.g. mood swings, depression, anxiety, delusions, paranoia) the drug has caused.
  • Legal troubles because of drug use, such as arrests for disorderly conduct, driving under the influence, or stealing to support a drug habit.

**Remember, taking someone else’s prescription medications or for anything other than the purpose intended can be lethal***

What to do:

  • Treat the situation as serious; do not dismiss it or laugh it off.
  • Try talking to the person privately about the behavior you have been witnessing and your concerns.
  • Seek help by contacting AOD services, the CARE Team, or the University Counseling Center

Contact or call 336.758.4371.